|"The White Mountains: 2090 AD"|
|Series 2, Episode 1|
|Air date||7 September 1985|
|Adapted by||Christopher Penfold|
|Directed by||Christopher Barry|
The White Mountains: November, 2089 AD
The White Mountains: 2090 AD is the first episode of Series 2 and the fourteenth chapter of the TV Series. The episode is largely based on the first chapter of the second novel, The City of Gold and Lead.
In the White Mountains, young people are trained for the annual games where the champions are selected to serve in the city of the Tripods. Will is trained in boxing while Henry's sport is sprinting and Beanpole's is long jump. Beanpole is having trouble balancing his studies with his sports training, which causes him to be uncertain about his chances to be selected.
Meanwhile, in a town nearby, a Capping Day is held. A group of freemen uses the occasion to steal supplies from the village, which is noticed by the inhabitants. The Tripod performing the capping ceremony chases the freemen and kills one of them, Pierre, who is providing a distraction for the others.
- Alpine chapel - St-Jean, Switzerland
- Boxing ring - Lake Ffynnon Llugwy, Wales, UK
- Freemen camp - Lake Ffynnon Llugwy, Wales, UK
- Swiss capping site - Rue du Village, Grimentz, Switzerland
- John Shackley as Will Parker
- Jim Baker as Henry Parker
- Ceri Seel as Beanpole
- Robin Hayter as Fritz
- Richard Wordsworth as Julius
- Edward Kelsey as Professor Bernstein
- Andrew Kimpton as Pierre
- Alisa Bosschaert as third Black Guard
- Peter Forbes-Robertson as Schenker
- Michael O'Hagan as Kieran
- Jeffrey Perry as Krull
- Robert Boyd as Rudi
- Colin Dunn as Kurt
- Magda Miller as Brigitte's mother
- Karen Seacombe as Brigitte
- Dennis Edwards as village elder
- Robert Craig-Morgan as Carlo
- Sue Harris as Dulcima player
- This is the last episode to use the place and year as episode title.