|"France: October, 2089 AD"|
|Series 1, Episode 12|
|Air date||2 December 1984|
|Adapted by||Alick Rowe|
|Directed by||Christopher Barry|
France: October, 2089 AD
The White Mountains: November, 2089 AD
France: October, 2089 AD is the twelth episode of Series 1.
Will, Henry and Beanpole stand trial at the French village they stole food in. The trial is interrupted by Daniel, who locks them up in a cage with the intent to transport them to his headquarters for questioning. On the way, the boys manage to use a belt to constrict him, however, and free themselves.
The boys find an abandoned village with a railway. They find a carriage and use it to ride on, until they find themselves under a Tripod by accident. They wait for it to leave, since it didn't spot them, but the Tripod stays put. Beanpole comes up with a plan to destroy it, and together the boys use a grenade brought from the ruins of Paris to make the ground underneath one of the Tripod's legs to explode. This topples the Tripod and, just as it opens a hatch for the Masters inside to crawl out, Henry throws another grenade inside and kills them.
The boys see the White Mountains before them, but turn in alarm at the sight of many Tripods, including red ones, looking for whoever had destroyed one of their own.
- Viaduct - Pensford viaduct, Pensford, UK
- French festival location - Haughmond Abbey ruins, Uffington, Oxfordshire, UK
- French village archway - Portmeirion, Gwynedd, Wales, UK
- French village court house - Town Hall in the Hercules room, Portmeirion, Gwynedd, Wales, UK
- Stone quarry building - floor six mill, Diffwys slate quarry, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, Wales, UK
- Stone hut - Diffwys slate quarry, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, Wales, UK
- John Shackley as Will Parker
- Jim Baker as Henry Parker
- Ceri Seel as Beanpole
- Julian Jones as Daniel
- Ian Ruskin as Monsieur Neyrand
- Max Harvey as Monsieur Dubois
- Vass Anderson as Black Guard
- Victor Baring as the Mayor
- Elma Soiron as old woman